Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

New DCU week 9/21

Batman #1- Probably the best Batman title of the bunch thus far. We still have one more to go because how will fanboys live without their WEEKLY Batman fix? Anyhow, that has little to do with this actual title. It was solid. I liked concept behind the issue.. what is Gotham and it kind of answers various questions then goes on for the rest of the story. Bruce using the new Bat contacts are a tad cheating imho, but it was definitely a good story. Vicki Vale even makes a return. The thing is? This Bruce feels like he's in his 20's.. not the 30's that some people are thinking, so basically? The Bat history is still confusing and will probably take YEARS to fully figure out.

Birds of Prey #1- I'm a little confused about this team now. It's a black ops team made up of "criminals". Isn't that.. Suicide Squad? I mean.. I like the title. I love that Black Canary has decided to bring this team together and I like Starling thus far. It just seems redundant to have two of the same type of teams, but then again.. a lot of this DC new 52 feels like it wasn't planned as a COMPLETE idea, just as individual titles and ideas. That's lacking to me. All and all, I love the title. It's very good and it's going somewhere interesting.

Blue Beetle #1- Didn't we ALREADY have this exact issue when they released this character's series the first time? OMG. It was deja vu. Why BOTHER to rewrite the issue? Why not just reprint the original series all over again? I just don't get this.

Captain Atom #1- Eh.. Just.. Eh.. Captain Atom is an energy being. He is falling apart.. Not much else to this than that. A lot of talking about stuff that was boring. Honestly? This title just didn't do anything for me. Captain Atom has never been that interesting to me and this doesn't make me feel that much more inclined to read it.

Catwoman #1- OK.. we get it.. Catwoman has boobs.. ENOUGH ALREADY! I mean the entire issue OPENS with Selina's BOOBS. It was gross. Guess what? It didn't get better from there. Everything in the issue is all about sex b/c Winick is a pervert and he can't write a woman that isn't obsessed with sex like he is. The art was hideous and Selina's new curvy BFF looked like a Drag Queen, unfortunately. I would have liked her to look beautiful instead of like a man. And the ending? More pervy Winick! Oh yeah did I mention that someone blew up Selina's apartment and she DOESN'T EVEN CARE? Yup.. doesn't care at all. She's more worried about getting some worthless painting and beating up some guy from her past.. The only people who are probably loving this are die-hard Selina fans who love Selina no matter what and the perverts who love Fanservice.

DC Universe Presents #1- Interesting title all about Boston Brand and his time as Deadman. Apparently he "helps" people, but we have no clue how or what that entails. He's apparently doesn't know how he's suppose to help certain people now.. OK, but it seems like he didn't even TRY. I liked the title, I did, but I just don't understand what Brand is doing. I mean I guess that's suppose to be the point since he doesn't know what he's doing, but.. it just I don't understand what Brand does and how he helps people. It just didn't tell me anything and I think a lot of people will be lost.

Green Lantern Corps #1- A continuation of the previous stuff except Guy and Jon Stewart are the new head liners. They have a new villain who apparently can kill without being seen and well is SUPER POWERFUL. He kinda has to be to go up against the Lantern Corps. We see a brief chance for Guy and Jon to try to return to Earth, but well.. it didn't work both literally and story wise. Nothing here lead a new reader to understand what was going on from the Brightest Day and everything else. It was definitely not a jumping on point for that. As for the story that Jon and Guy on Earth? I didn't get it. I just don't know why it was needed. It slowed the issue down and it revealed really nothing about either of them. It explained how the rings worked.. joy, but that's about it.

Legion of Super-Heroes #1- Totally NOT a jumping on point. But then again, we all knew that it wouldn't be. It was a GREAT issue, but mostly because it seemed to continue pretty much where the Legion left off minus the Legion Lost members and some others which I guess we'll find out about later. Saturn Girl seems to be MIA and Colossal Boy has retired from the Legion. I'm thrilled to see the Legion is still here and the Legion kids have joined. I wish that Gravity Kid kept on into the Legion, but I figured he wouldn't be. All in all though, it's the Legion that I know and love, so I'm sold, but for new readers? No.. Definitely not.

Nightwing #1- An ok start for Dick. Yeah, just OK. there was a LOT of internal monologue in this issue and well every DC issue I've read this week thus far, so it got a little too heavy inner monologue. It's not that it's a bad thing per-se, but it gets a little heavy when you read 4-5 issues that are ALL heavy inner monologue without a lot of talking. All in all though, it was an OK issue. The art was OK. I still hate Dick's new costume, but I like that Dick has come back as Nightwing stronger than ever thanks to his time as Batman. He's found himself a place in Gotham and is working in Gotham again.. which means we have at least 6 people with titles currently operating in Gotham (Batman, Robin, Nightwing, Catwoman, Batwoman, and Flamebird). Gotham is definitely "The" city of the New DCU I guess.

Red Hood and the Outlaws #1 - Good news? I think the new Roy is mildly hot. Everything else in this issue? Yeah.. garbage. Jason Todd and Roy Harper are suddenly bffs and have been working together for a while, I guess. Starfire has suddenly become a bimbo. She's got a 5 second memory now and she's sleeping with all the boys, literally. She doesn't remember anything about her time with that "other team" and she's just.. dumb. I don't like it at all.

Supergirl #1- Rehash issue of Kara coming to earth. Dunno what to say about it other than Kara coming to Earth. It was a very, very fast read and that's not really a good thing. It felt like there really wasn't anything to it.. oh and Kara is convinced she's dreaming (Sound familiar to anyone? Like her ENTIRE time in the Legion of Super-Heroes?). There really is nothing to go on for me to tell if this series will be good or bad..

Wonder Woman #1- Wonder Woman is dead. Long Live Warrior Woman. Yeah, the Wonder Woman of old is completely and utterly gone. Gone is the kind, caring woman who solved problems over killing. Now? She has now problem chopping off arms. I don't even know why she still has her lasso since the ONLY time she uses it is to lasso someone on her side! So.. after mourning Wonder Woman.. we get on to the actual story, which was actually entertaining if you just realize that it's NOT Wonder Woman. Don't expect a Wonder Woman story at all. It's a nice battle of greek mythology. Think Xena the Warrior Princess and Hercules slammed together.. You have the battling Xena facing off against the mythological beings of Hercules. It works as a good story. I liked it and I want to see more.

No comments:

Post a Comment