Search This Blog

Friday, September 9, 2011

The new DCU 52 thus far.. Week 9/7/2011

As many of you know, I am currently jobless, so I have had to borrow the new DC 52 in order to read them. I earlier told people the New DCU 52 I was looking out for, but I've decided since I'm jobless and bored.. I should check them all out, so I have. Here are my opinions on the titles thus far:

Justice League #1:
Honestly, I enjoyed it. Did it blow me away? Nope. I never expect a Geoff Johns title to blow me away. I just.. DON'T! What I DO expect is a solid, enjoyable story and I got that. The interaction between Bats and GL were entertaining to me and it felt like the START of something. Was it complete? No, do we need more story? Yes, but it was a definite start. Oh I DUG how they got Cyborg into it. He felt just like Vic to me and I can live with that. As I said, solid issue.. not blow you away, but definitely SOLID.

Action Comics #1:
Grant Morrison is my archnemesis in comic terms, lol. He is one of the few writers I just don't enjoy most of the time... EXCEPT on All-Star Superman, which wasn't perfect, but enjoyable, so.. I expected All-Star Superman to peek through.. Instead.. I'm left cold. Superman has apparently decided to fight corporate greed and the evil rich.. Joy, so Superman is everything I HATE about Green Arrow. That works.. not really. I was honestly COMPLETELY turned off by the opening bits. Superman was violent, angry, and he was not.. Superman.. he was Green Arrow and Batman mixed into a really, really BAD combination. After that part, though it got better. Things were so much better. I can live with his home made costume, his powers growing, I missed the "Somebody Save me" reference that others caught and it's HORRIBLE.. Morrison should be shot just for that, sorry, he should. Anyhow, the rest of the comic was solid.. I LOVED that Lois views Clark as a rival.. I LOVE that. It worked for me. The story really got progressively better after the initial super douche. I will read Action Comics after this. I'm sure it'll be an enjoyable ride.

Animal man #1:
A lot of other reviews felt this wasn't a good place to jump onto Animal man, but.. I enjoyed it. I think it was accessible to new readers. Over all, I liked Animal Man. I love Buddy, he was lively and personable, I loved his family and his interactions with them and I liked the one-shot villain that made him remember his daughter. I liked the costume as well. It was a nice set up and it showed us what is in store for the future. I was WORRIED given the set up that Maxine would end up to be a reality bending mutant.. I mean meta-human. I'm glad it's vastly more limited than that. I'm so glad. Honesty, this was seriously one of the comics I was thinking was going to be the first for me to drop and it's one of my favourites.

Batgirl #1:
Unlike some, I found the title enjoyable. I love Gail Simone and I enjoyed the art. I liked that Babs isn't perfect after spending 3 years in a wheelchair and I don't think she SHOULD be, despite what others seem to think. It was an enjoyable title, just not blow my mind. I liked it.. I hope to read more.. I'm just not sold on how this is a step forward for Babs at all.

Batwing #1:
Don't get this title. I don't understand why it's special, don't understand why we need it, I just don't. It's Batman in a different costume in the "country" of Africa. It felt flat to me. The character never fleshed out for me as anything new or unique.. he's just Bruce Wayne as a POC in Africa. I see no reason to read this comic.. just read Batman and you get the same character.

Detective Comics #1:
Interesting I guess. I'm just not a Batman fan and I'm not sure why we're ripping Joker's face off. Yeah, I'm skipping the rest of this comic. It just didn't sell me and I'm not a Batman fan.

Green Arrow #1:
Wow.. yeah.. I didn't get this comic at all. Ollie was throwing around some weird disc things out for no reason, we've got weirdo reject villains and A FUCKING ORACLE REPLACEMENT. Yeah you heard me.. That pissed me off to no END. They tried to REPLACE Oracle with some bimbo who works for Ollie. Fuck you JT Krul. That was heartless and cruel. The idea that Queen Industries is Apple was interesting I guess.. but yeah, everything here just didn't work enough for me to want to read.

Hawk and Dove #1:
Wow.. my worst nightmare for this title HAPPENED. Liefeld dominated the title, refusing to allow Sterling Gates to actually write as amazing as he can. Liefeld's Washington Monument was horrid and hideous which is just part of his crappy art. Anyhow, everything about this title SCREAMS that it was written JUST to be drawn by Liefeld which left the story feeling.. rushed and incomplete. I felt there were pages missing at the end and I haven't felt that way since just after DC switched to the new 20 pgs.

Justice League International #1:
COncept interesting I guess and some good characters. I dig Godiva already, but.. I'm just not sold. I'd probably buy it in trades. It was a fast read and it was enjoyable. I just didn't feel that it was a GREAT title. It didn't make me feel I needed to read the next issue.

Men of War #1:
I was bored. I didn't even try to read the back-up feature. It was NOT something I enjoyed. I'm sure this is a title for SOMEONE, but it is not for me. It was so boring to me and all the military jargon thrown in made it downright unreadable.

O.M.A.C. #1:
Eh. This was a title I wasn't thrilled about and after reading it.. I'm still not. Felt very rushed and incomplete. The reveal at the end was interesting, but yeah.. Nothing I'd ever read again. If I wanted to read Jack Kirby, I can read Jack Kirby and be blown away.. this was not and it failed.. miserably for me.

Static Shock #1:
Spider-Man.. joy. Teen superhero geek trying to be cool while fighting the Power Rangers? I'll skip it. I just felt this was a bad Spider-Man rip-off with nothing original to make it work for me.

Stormwatch #1:
Loved. Absolutely LOVED. The end made me squee with happiness. I was a little off-put with the Martian Manhunter "warrior" speech, but everything else was great. It did have a barrage of characters that I still have no clue about, but I WANT TO KNOW them. Besides, I HAVE to see how the Apollo/Midnighter relationship plays out.. HAVE TO! I love Midnighter.. he's my comic crush. There I admitted it.

Swamp Thing #1:
Ok, I wasn't going to pick this one up originally and well.. I feel that I would have missed out if I had not read this comic. It was a GREAT sleeper title and I hope it grows. It reminded me of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, which is the only one I have enjoyed. I've tried to read others, didn't like them.. this one I dug. So I hope it works out. I LOVED the cabbage thing and the voracious plant thing. It was great. Really just loved this title.

So all in all, thus far I'm right on what I'd like and not like EXCEPT Swamp Thing. That makes me happy lol. Oh the thing I have not been thrilled about the fact that Batman seems to be the THEME of this relaunch. Everything seems to be going darker.. Superman is a much more violent and arrogant at first, Ollie is acting JUST LIKE Bruce multi-tasking, acting violent, using various TOYS, he has his "generals" including a fake Oracle bimbo, and then we have Bruce-Lite in Africa. It's all crazy thus far to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment