Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

DC Relaunch: The Dark Side

I'm a HUGE fan of magic and supernatural, so I'm all for more supernatural titles, but.. once again, DC releases a huge MESS of titles. I'm still not excited about this in the least. Let's start with what I believe to be the flagship title:

Justice League Dark - Ok, so we get Peter Milligan on the title. That could be a good thing, but look at the line up! Shade the Changing Man (non-magical mind you), John Constantine, Deadman, and Madame Xanadu. Ok... I like a lot of these characters and think they have potential but none of these characters are really TEAM characters. Add to that that there is NO power house, no one on the team that can truly deal with an enemy, well.. what the hell is this going to be? Shade can pull out things from his M-Vest, but last we saw.. he was completely driven crazy by the vest, so what will he do? Constantine is suppose to be this great magical powerhouse, yet every Hellblazer issue I've read is mostly about him getting drunk, smoking a bunch, and weaseling himself out of a bad situation. Deadman is well.. dead and possess people, I'm not really even sure how he'll communicate with the other members of the team and Xanadu while very powerful in her now cancelled on-going, she was rarely the main character and her focus was more on seeing the future and working her way AROUND situations, not fighting baddies. I just don't know how this title will work without someone with a more direct approach.

Animal Man - Def hit or miss title for me. I just don't know if it'll be worth reading until it comes out. I just can't say that it's definitely something I want to read.

Swamp Thing - don't care one iota bout this title. DC has tried relaunching and getting Swamp Thing out there countless times. It hasn't worked before, so.. LET'S TRY AGAIN! Definition of insanity.

Frankenstein agent of SHADE - This series sounds like a horrible disaster. I've read that some think his was the best of the Seven Soldiers series, but well.. I read the whole thing and his is the one I honestly can't remember much about. I don't see this title lasting and all I can think is FrankenCastle.

Demon Knights - I don't think ANYONE is sure about this title. We know less about this than any of the others. This one could be a cult success or a massive failure.

I, Vampire - DC's attempt to capitalize on the Twilight/Blade fandom. I just don't get this title and it scares me since the title is very much like one of my favourite Vertigo titles, I, Zombie, which is of course vastly better. I also don't get it since we have American Vampire and other vampire titles.. so I don't know why we need this or what place it holds in the DCU.

Voodoo - Ok this one I was mildly excited about. The character is apparently a Wildstorm character being brought over to the DCU and she sounds interesting to say the least, my problem? Ron Marz is writing it. Yup, the same guy who stuck Kyle's girlfriend into a fridge. The same guy who wrote those HORRIBLE PSA Green Lantern issues that I don't think ANYONE could stand (there was one on drugs and drinking, one on homosexuality and gay bashing, and probably others). I just don't find him to be a solid writer and this title will fail because DC put him on it.

Oh yeah forgot Resurrection Man - This is a character I just don't know anything about. I know his power and I know he did a crossover with Peter David's Supergirl, but I don't think this is a title that once again draws people in.

So.. the supernatural line up? Weird and random. I think DC has had better supernatural offerings in the past and if they wanted Madame Xanadu back in the DCU, why not just relaunch the title with Wagner and Reeder as a DC title? It would have been better than this. We've also got Zatanna axed for really no reason (was it a best seller? No, but do you REALLY think Resurrection Man or Swamp Thing v10 or I, Vampire will be?)

2 comments:

  1. hey sweetie... its moe moe.. so i read ur blogs up to this point.. and i have established u obviously have strong opinions and u know way too much haahaha. ilove it and thanks for the input. im still excited for this relaunch.. and i do hope u were wrong by some of this titles haha. love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MoeMoe, better to have a strong opinion than none at all :)

    ReplyDelete