Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

DC Relaunch: Initial release titles

So a few days ago, DC announced it's initial release titles for the DC Reboot/Retool/Relaunch. So let's start at the beginning:

Justice League - Good news Geoff Johns and Jim Lee and Cyborg is on the team! YEAH! I'm sure this will be a great flag ship title and a lot of people will read it, but honestly the Justice League has typically left me rather cold and this line up doesn't do much to change that. It's pretty typical except for the nice addition of Cyborg who seems to be there just to represent the POC slot that needs to be filled. I mean, I LOVE Vic, but every OTHER character has their own solo title.. so he just seems a little odd in that line up. Let's hope it's good, but I won't be reading it.

Wonder Woman - yet another disappointment. First of all, the hideous costume is still around. It's been modified, but it's still here and still ugly. Second, DC seems to think Wonder Woman is Xena Warrior Princess again. Look at that cover! Look at it! She's got a huge sword covered in blood! HOW IS THAT Wonder Woman? It just seems to be the exact opposite of what Wonder Woman stands for to me and the cover makes me think she's going to be the accepted killer in the DCU which I loathe. Once again another title I was looking forward to and hoped DC would take Diana into a NEW direction, not the same old failed one.. but hey DC knows what they're doing right? After all, Diana has been a top tier character consistently under their watchful eye. I will check out this title out, but I don't have high hopes at all.

Aquaman - Eh.. OK, so Aquaman is getting a title again. Once again good news that Geoff Johns is on the title. He seems to like Arthur and that's a good thing. Aquaman's appearances in Brightest Day were pretty good and an Aquaman title means the one thing EVERYONE really wants to see.. MORE MERA, QUEEN OF THE SEA! I'll look at this title too especially if I get more Mera. I think she's more interesting than Arthur, but Geoff could actually MAKE him relevant and enjoyable again. I look forward to seeing that, but he is Aquaman lol.

The Flash - Didn't read the Flash before, won't now. Sorry. I liked Flash Rebirth, but Flash in general is not a comic I'm drawn to. Wake me up when they re-introduce Pied Piper, other than that.. I won't be buying this comic. I'm sure Barry fans are thrilled, but it's still the same title, so it's not really a retool/relaunch, just a continuation.

Fury of the Firestorm - OK Gail Simone is writing it.. That means I HAVE to buy it. Yup, have to. I love Gail's work. I really do. The thing is.. Is Firestorm a compelling enough character? I've tried to get into various incarnations of Firestorm and he's OK, he's got great powers, but.. well he's never really drawn me in. I'm sure Gail will fix all that and clear up some of it. The interesting thing will be that Firestorm will be both white and black depending on who is in charge (Jason is the brains of course, Ronnie is just.. IDK what Ronnie is and why we need him.. but he's there). It'd be GREAT if villains and people react differently to Firestorm depending on if he's white or black and it'd be AWESOME to see people try to tell them which one is the real Firestorm :). OK, I'm starting to see more and more comedic genius in this comic. Now I wanna read it. Damn you blogging lol.

The SAVAGE Hawkman - I love Carter Hall and I loved the previous title, but with Kendra/Sheira dead, this title leaves me cold. I also like that it's called SAVAGE Hawkman, but the blurg doesn't make him seem all that savage lol. This could be the great sleeper comic, but I doubt it.

Green Arrow - Relaunched, same writer.. yeah, big Reboot and bold new direction. Didn't like Ollie before, won't like him now :) Move on.

Justice League International - It's nice to see Justice League International return. I'm excited to see a good portion of the original team return, though Guy Gardner in 2 titles is well.. 2 too many. I'm also glad to see a member of the Great Ten joining the team, August General in Iron, so it is becoming a tad more international, though it is still America heavy, I can live with the line up. I'm sure the title will be interesting and I may check it out. I'm just not sure about the creative team. Am I the only one that was hoping Giffen would get this title? Oh well. The line up looks really good and we can ALWAYS use more Vixen, but.. what is Donna Troy doing there? Am I the only one that finds her rather out of place? Maybe they're going to reinstate her again as part of the Amazons? If so that'd be nice, but then why not throw Mera on the title to represent Atlanis? I love that idea.. We need more Mera!

Mister Terrific - An AMAZING character, I'm just wondering how he's going to support his own title. I've really liked Mister Terrific for a long time and I've been sad that he hasn't been used to his full potential, I just don't know if a solo is his full potential. This title will either be an amazing success or a failure.. the biggest road block on this title? His costume is by far one of the most hideous costumes in a long time.

Captain Atom - I only cared about him when he was part of the New Krypton Cross-over. That stuff was great, but that doesn't mean I wanna read Captain Atom NOW. He's had his chance at a title numerous times. Heck, they even took him OUT of DC, sent him to Wildstorm, then brought him BACK and I still don't think he's all that popular. wish him and this title luck, but I won't be reading it and I don't think anyone is excited about this one.

DC Universe Presents - a grab bag title of just random DC stuff similar to Showcase Presents and DC origins. Both titles had good issues and bad issues and this will be the same thing. I don't think many people will sign up for a book like this with a constantly rotating roster, after all they haven't worked out too well lately but hey maybe THIS time it'll catch on.

No comments:

Post a Comment